Saturday, April 27, 2013

From the U.P.

Wow, time flies by when you are having fun. Did not realize I had not posted for such a long time, but the last 1 1/2 months have been a whirlwind with my retirement, trip to Mexico and my work on 21Things4Students. Now, I am getting ready to go back to work! Wednesday, I go back to Ingham ISD on a part time basis and Thursday have a 22i Project Team meeting and iPad session. The four weeks I was off, will feel like they have never happened. What I have gotten done in this time though? Have been doing some assisting with CEP 812 getting it ready for the opening of class on May 6. I am really looking forward to teaching the new content and working with a new group of students. I have a feeling I may have some of my 810 students in the class which will be great to see some familiar faces. We are reading the book by James Paul Gee (2013). The Anti-Education Era: Creating Smarter Students Through Digital Learning. So far it is very intriguing and I find myself agreeing with much of what he has said. Have spent quite a few days working with Carolyn, Jenn and Jan on the revisions for 21Things4Students. I think teachers next fall as well as students will be pleased with the changes. We are trying very hard to make the course "fun and engaging" for the students. I talked to a teacher yesterday at the MACUL conference and her daughter is taking the class right now. She said it is the best class she has ever taken! That is so exciting to know that a middle-schooler is truly enjoying our class. Presented at the MACUL U.P. conference on Friday! What a great conference. The U.P. team knows how to put on a conference. The presentations were great, the location at Houghton Portage HS was very nice (even though there were internet glitches and lots of snow), and the lunch was incredible! Fun to see a lot of teachers I have met the past couple of years presenting at the conference. Lastly, our trip to Mexico was wonderful. It was a well deserved relaxing trip for both of us. Tom said he will definitely go back and he is not a fun in the sun person.

No comments:

Post a Comment